Thursday, February 4, 2010

A Delicate Subject: Consideration For Others: Flush and Move On: Get Off Your Cell and Stop Texting:


How to put this delicately? Have you ever gone tent camping? Invariably you camp next to another campsite that is totally unaware that they are in a "TENT", a fabric structure and not a structure of solid (somewhat)sound proof walls. I spend a great deal of the time camping just blushing with embarrassment for the campers around them and the offending campers themselves. (This was the lead in for the topic, a delicate approach.)

There is another place where consideration for others would be most appreciated. I work in an office with about 30 female employees; there are TWO stalls in the Ladies restroom. We are privileged in that we have a lounge as well, furnished with a sofa and end tables, lamps included. A much better place to carry on a conversation or text with wayward or argumentative family/friend/relationship members. NOT the STALL. I've been that person that required use of one of them, just to open the door from the lounge and find both doors closed, voices (not talking to each other) or the click, click of texting. When finally there's a free stall, I've heard the doors open the grumble and sigh and the door bang closed...another desperate woman. This happens in public restrooms all the time as well. There are NEVER enough stalls. And WHY the need to text or use the cell phone in the restroom???? Aren't they afraid to drop it? I actually had a friend do just that, and that presents a whole other quandry...how to get the cell out of there! I don't recommend flushing, it causes a tidal wave of events, as a friend found out.

Since I've gotten this far, I might as well continue with the embarassment issue. Stalls in and of themselves are the site of embarassing situations. I know not to eat garlic infused foods, but sometimes I just can't refuse, neither can others. I wind up choking back giggles on both sides of that fence. I've never figured out why I get the giggles. I've been known to giggle at the most inappropriate times, funerals, the hushed silence in church between words, often when the Pastor is about to lead in prayer or just following the AMEN, and there is a huge BURP or "Fluff" as my Mother would have put it. Mostly it's embarrassment for the other person, or the timing is just right and it strikes my funny bone, which seems to be either well developed or just plain juvenile. In self defense I grew up in a straight laced "Ladies never "fluff", nor should they ever acknowledge them" type of home. Yes my sitting posture is excellent as well. The giggling must be my overdeveloped sense of rebellion, or empathy.

To conclude, I'll try not to giggle, please respond in kind when I shouldn't have endeavored at lunch, dinner, snack, etc. And PLEASE use your cell phone and text where you won't create any more desperate women. Those of you that still tent camp in this world of motor homes, please carry on as usual, but, keep in mind that you're in a FABRIC tent and that EVERYONE around you hears it all.

Thank you

A most grateful giggler ;)

4 comments:

Jo said...

Okay, you just made my day. This post is wonderful...!

And by the way, you have a fabulous blog. The whole world should discover you.

It always seems to be the aggressive bloggers who get all the comments, and usually their blogs are *Y-A-W-N* boring, boring, boring...! *heh* Yours is wonderful.

A Woman said...

Jo, Thank you! I came home and found your lovely comment, it made my day! I'm not sure what I would do with the world at my doorstep, laughing...hide?

I've said it before but Your blog is so wonderful. You've given me something to strive for. You posts are so thoughtful, some are delightful and funny. You have such variety.

This post was fun to write. I giggled the entire time. I am truly enjoying this world of blogging. The actual blogging I do, but more so the wonderful blogs that I've read and now follow.

Thank you again for making my day! Have a wonderful weekend ;)

Cedar said...

Whenever someone is talking in the stall next to me on the cellphone, I flush, repeatedly, if that doesn't work hurling sounds sometimes will move them out.

The Tent people...well you just have to yell out loud...I CAN HEAR YOU..AND SO CAN EVERYONE ELSE AND WE ALL THINK YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG!

A Woman said...

Cedar, laughing as always with your comments. I can just see you doing that.

I can't see me doing it, but you yes ;)